Me and Wee: Playroom Take Two

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Playroom Take Two

IMG_1373.jpg

Hey there!
Now that the playroom is "done" I thought I'd post some new photos of it with the play kitchen in place and all Paige's holiday toys put away. I also avoided using the wide-angle lens for this so it doesn't distort the room. To answer an earlier question from a reader, the room size, I believe, is 11 x 12 feet. (Sidenote: If anyone wants to know more about some of the stuff in here, try checking out the topics column on the right of this blog under "playroom for wee." I tagged all the posts about this room with that to make it easy to find info. Or you can feel free to email me at the address listed on the upper-right) Since everything has its place, it's easy to clean up at the end of the day and keep it looking like this. Some days I don't feel like it so the floor has scattered books and bits on it, but for the most part we like to pick it up and keep it looking new. We also added a mirror to the wall where Paige can admire herself during dress up (which so far means donning a bunch of cheapy necklaces and watching them swish back and forth) and we play mimicking games. She also likes to watch her mouth move as she tries to babble and sound out words. So cute! The thing in the left corner in the toy zone is not a TV; it's a lamp that looks like an aquarium. Paige is very visual and loves fish so it was easy to decide to get it. I often find her staring at it and waving hi to her little fishy friends; especially when she's a little tired and needs extra soothing. I'm glad we changed the office into her playspace; we are in there all day long with plenty to do with no temptation of the television in the family room. I know Paige enjoys having her own place to go and be cozy and where we can all play, make art, make music, read, and enjoy being together...and that was my goal. Mission accomplished!

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

6 comments :

Fertile Thoughts said...

WOW! Your playroom is GORGEOUS!!! I love it :)

Unknown said...

What a great playroom! I am a fan of the aqua colored bookshelf for the music stuff. I'm getting ready to paint a few pieces of furniture for our new shared nursery, and I'm wondering if you would mind sharing the painting process? What you used to prep the piece and what kind of paint you used, etc.?

I looked back at the other playroom posts, and I have to say that I love the box full of beans!!! Does Paige ever try to just throw all the beans out onto the floor? I'm sure that's what my Hannah would do! :)

Unknown said...

Joy, thanks!!! To prep the piece, I used a solvent I got at the paint store that removes years of build-up of wax. It's like a really strong cleaner that you wear gloves to use. You can ask at any paint store/hardware store and I'm sure they'd know what to give you. I scrubbed with a bucket of water for a long time until the refuse was clear. Took a long time! I'd recommend sanding instead, I think. I've done both ways now and feel like sanding is almost easier. I guess it depends on the size of the item. Then, I actually used a spray paint! I wanted to be quick about it and not too precious. I just worked to make it even and there are no brush strokes to worry about. I think it was a rustoleum brand. All told, it took only 20 minutes to paint it in total. A few hours to dry and presto! Again, I'm no perfectionist with it, but I'm happy with the results. As for the beans, I was clear with Paige with a stern voice about keeping the beans IN the box. She never tries to throw them out. Occasionally some come out by accident but even she will go around and pick them up and throw them back in. No problems so far! If you think your daughter is a thrower, you can always try a shoebox sized Rubbermaid container filled with beans and some little toys to hide in the beans to start with. She can bury her hands in it and try pouring with a cup, etc. If it goes well, you could always upsize to the larger container; that way you can start small and see how it goes. Good luck!!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great room! I love the wall shelves. Any chance you'll tell me where you got them? Thanks!
-H

Unknown said...

Hi there, thanks!! The shelves are from Ikea.

l o v e l y d e s i g n said...

hi Megan, just wanted to pop in and say hello! I hope that you are well. And the playroom - ahem! Can we come play? xox sharilyn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...