Me and Wee: Heirlooms

Monday, February 9, 2009

Heirlooms

Hello friends! My parents came to visit us on Saturday and my Mom brought me these treasures. They were all mine when I was an infant and she's saved them for me all these years! I had no idea! What a thrill and surprise this was! yellow blanketsweaterThe yellow blanket with matching sweater and bonnet were all knitted for me (she can't remember who made them though)...and the shade of yellow is the exact color of the crib bedding! I've been looking for a little sweater like this, so I'm happy it's here now.
knitted oldies
The pink and blue blanket was knitted by my great-grandmother (Little P's great-great-grandmother) when I was an infant and she died not too long later. It's ultra-soft and I'm excited to use it. My Mom was named after her grandmother and it's so lovely to pass down these special priceless things that she touched. The white and orange "stork" blanket was knitted by my Mom's friend and neighbor just after my birth. The front is covered with all of my birth status information...like a birth announcement on a blanket. Pretty cool to see, and Little P will get to use it now too. And everything is machine-washable/dry-able so we don't have to worry about damaging the fabric. I love blankets and think hand-made knitted ones are so special, unique, and lovely. And great heirlooms! I don't think you can ever have too many. Thanks again Mom, what a nice surprise!

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

so, so pretty! those kind of special things mean the most.

alicia said...

wow that is so nice! it is great how it matches the bedding so perfectly!!!

my mom has a bin full of my old stuff she is going to give me too, so excited!

Stephanie said...

Hi Megan, I have no idea quite how I stumbled across your blog, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your story on your way to mommy-hood. I love the colors you've chosen for your nursery. My first baby (a girl as well!) is due about 5 weeks after yours. Still figuring out the whole color-scheme. Anyway, congrats!

Between Hitching Posts said...

How fun! you are lucky to receive cool handknit hand-me-down love. I treasure the hand-me-down love I received for my children. However I also had to endure the style from that era as well.
I love, love, love the pom-poms!

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan,
We think your nursery is just beautiful. You did a great job. The colors are so soft and warm. Your new baby is going to have a wonderful mommy and daddy. We'll be talking soon. Love Uncle David and Aunt Earlene.

Unknown said...

Hi! I discovered your blog over from Ohdeedoh. I wanted to know where you got your crib bedding set from. I am loving the colors!

Unknown said...

Monica: The crib bedding is/was made my Nursery Works. I got it from modern nursery.com...but last I knew it was phasing out...but it might be around other sites. It's called "macaroni" and is in the color "Canary"...you may find some around if you google it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...