Me and Wee: Art style and aesthetic

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Art style and aesthetic

megan carty painting

So! I'm still working on exploring my style and what it is I enjoy making. The other day I looked at this painting I did a few years ago...it's hanging on my dining room wall...and I thought about how much I enjoyed making it. It's an abstract landscape painting done in oil with a palette knife. I referenced a photo I had taken in Italy...I think it was in the town of Fiesole.

I remember when I started painting in oils; I was 11 years old and obsessed with watching Bob Ross paint on PBS. Do you remember him? I loved his voice and he was so gentle and forgiving. He made the whole process seem so attainable. And it was! I enjoyed making magic happen on the canvas but never fully seriously thought I could make a living as an artist. I figured too many people did art and much better than I did! But now, I know better. I know there is room for all of us. We all have something to offer in our own unique way.

I'm wondering about making more paintings like this referencing my own photos I've taken of landscapes from all my travels. It was so fun to paint! Do YOU struggle with deciding the things YOU like to spend time on?
I have a lot of thinking to do! Any advice or thoughts?

1 comment :

Lor said...

You are multitalented!

It must be a great memory.

But art is very special. At the moment, I do not want much on my walls, I want light/airy things, and although I like many things, I am not sure I want to buy things at the moment.
I guess I am searching my home's style!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...