Me and Wee: Watercolor Class

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Watercolor Class

Watercolor ClassHi there!
I'd mentioned in an earlier post about finding balance in life. Well, in a step to find time to enjoy something that is just for me AND just for fun, I enrolled in a watercolor class at my local community center. It meets every Monday night for the next several weeks; last night was the first gathering. I LOVED it! The teacher is going over techniques and "how-tos" with lots of individual instruction thrown in. I took a course in college and the professor literally gave us assignments and then sat there as we worked. I had no clue what I was doing the entire time and just sort of figured things out as I went along. But, I struggled. In just last night's course I learned several things I'd been doing wrong that had been making watercoloring really hard and giving me crappy results. So, it's been worth it so far! As you can see in the photo, we've begun a one-color painting of a lighthouse (here it's about half-finished) to learn about shading, tone and controlling the water. All that aside, it was nice to get away and do something for myself for pure enjoyment. It's nice to have no purpose...there's no grade, no critique, no trying to sell the paintings, etc. I get to just sit, get lost in the project at hand, and play around with it. There was a mix of people in the room; old and young...experienced and un-experienced. There were no judgements (a long way from the scary and sometimes mean critiques I suffered through college...I have a great story of a professor who ripped up one of my projects into little shreds...sigh) It was so relaxing and the 2 hours went by like nothing. I can get used to this! I came home feeling so excited and energized simply from this one thing! What do you do that is for yourself and just for fun? It's something to think about if you haven't been doing it already. Have a great day!

5 comments :

alicia said...

wow that looks sooo good! I am so glad you are taking this time for yourself!

I really want to start painting again! I have been thinking about it all week! I think I will stock up on supplies over the next few weeks and get back into it!

Home Sweet Home Place said...

Holy crap that is good! Enjoy!

Nikole said...

It's gorgeous! I am so glad you are taking the class.

I have taken a few sewing classes and I've been doing a bit of sewing in my free time. Mostly for Thea, but right now I'm working on a quilt for my new niece. It is really keeping me sane right now!

Colette said...

That painting is beautiful- I can't imagine what your paintings will look like by the last class! I think the peace you felt during class translated to the painting.

good thoughts said...

Good for you Meg! I would love to do the same also sometime soon!

Look at you with your John Pike palette! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...