Me and Wee: Drawing for Babies

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Drawing for Babies

I am in LOVE with this post by SouleMama. As someone who formally studied art, I'm really looking forward to the time when Paige shows an interest in coloring, drawing, and art in general. She still has a hard time using her hands to pick up small items so now isn't the time to introduce it. But, that particular post really inspired me on how to get things rolling when the time is right...it will be such a great opportunity for fun, confidence and pride-building, and for making choices (not to mention the development of fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination).
I had to share it with you and I hope you enjoy it!

4 comments :

Jenna Eve said...

I am an art lover as well and my eleven month old LOVES to draw on a mini magna-doodle. She has been for months. she will sit on the floor or in the car and scribble for long periods.

EFamily said...

Thank you for sharing! I didn't know they had those different types of crayons for kids! That's so great!

Meaghan said...

If you're feeling brave, you can always try giving her some paint (and a brush, or just her hands) ... my kids were both dabbling in paint at less than a year. It's a great sensory experience too ! (says the early childhood speech pathologist always looking to sneak some sort of therapy in!)

I have a HUGE file of hand and foot print projects that C's daycare teachers did with her in the infant room, and she grabbed crayons/markers a little earlier on because she wanted to be like her brother. But she's now 20 months and pretty good with her left-handed coloring! The MagnaDoodle is great too ... nice for quiet time in church ;)

Suzanne said...

To add on to Meaghan's suggestions, you can also have her "paint" with pudding, applesauce, etc. You can get watercolor paper and it won't soak right through, and then it is okay if she eats it! (Another SLP trick :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...